Tuesday 14 January 2014

Top 10 2014 Debuts I'm Excited For

Another Tuesday another The Broke and Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday. Today I will be telling you the debuts I am looking forward to over the coming year. Click on the images and you will be brought straight to the book's Goodreads page where you can check out the synopsis.


1. The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings: This book has been talked about a lot in the booksphere so I am really excited for this one. It seems to be a pretty dark story filled with assassins and murders and I like my dark stories. A LOT.
2. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge: I have to admit that I am obsessed with fairytale re-tellings and I have been since college when I studied Angela Carter's work (if you like fairytale re-tellings I recommend you check out this author). This book is a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast and this is another one that has been all over the book blogs.
3. Prisoner of Night and Fog: Asides from the gorgeous cover this is a story about WWII and I just can't get enough of that genre. I studied history in college and I was particularly interested in WWII and I have even been to visit Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland. I can't wait to see what this book has to offer.
4. Hexed by Michelle Krys: I love any kind of paranormal book really, witches, werewolves, vampire, ANYTHING. This is a story about witches, which I actually haven't read much of. It appears to be a more witty and fun story while still drama-packed - have to have a bit of action at all times.
5. Midnight Thief by Livia Blackbourne: Female, kick-ass assassin portagonist, need I say more. I really, really wanted to love Throne of Glass because I love assassins and I love the whole medieval type setting. I, however, really did not like that book even a tiny bit so I am really hoping that this book makes up for the disappointment of ToG.
6. Salvage by Alexandra Duncan: Being honest here I say the words "will appeal to fans of the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood" and I was sold. I love Margaret Atwood for her thought provoking works on the role of men and women in society. I know this book is YA,so it won't be exactly up there with Atwood, I am sold on a good story about a women struggling in a male dominated society.
7. Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano: This book is very different from what I normally read because it is not dystopian or paranormal, it's a thriller. However, I chose the book because it sounded dark and ominous (always a plus) and because the girl lives in a trailer park and her mom's a stripper, definitely something different and I am really excited to get my hands on this one.
8. Half Bad by Sally Green: This is another book involving witches but the reason I chose this one is because it is told from the point of view of a male. Hallelujah. I sometimes find (and I really hate when authors do this) that the female protagonist in a story is always so whiny and pathetic; males on the other hand are rarely portrayed that way and so sometimes I like to read from the male perspective. It is different to the usual YA female main character that I am used to.
9. Scintillate by Tracey Clark: Not going to lie I saw the words Ireland and Irish in the synopsis on Goodreads and I immediately clicked want to read. So few books are set in Ireland, or contain Irish characters and, if there are Irish characters, they are usually padding characters who are the stereotypical ginger-haired joker/drunk...that does not appeal to me. There is also some paranormal activity going on in this book so it's a must read for me.
10. Creed by Trisha Leaver: This one has no cover yet, hence why you didn't see it above (find a link to the book's Goodreads page here. This story is basically a thriller involving a cult. Do I need to say anymore? I love any story that involves cults. I find them incredibly disturbing but they make for a really fascinating read.

So they are my Top 10 debuts I am excited for. If you have any recommendations please leave them in the comments below. Also, if you have a blog post on this topic, leave a link in the comments and I would only be glad to check it out. Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear your thoughts!

Make sure to check back on your comments as I always reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Teams

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare Delirium by Lauren Oliver The Chemical Garden by Lauren Destefano The Selection by Kiera Cass The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith
 

Blog Template by Rockaboo Design Studio